Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Recliner Hunt!

A few months ago I and my wife had this brainwave that we need to get 2 recliners for our living room! Then began the hunt for finding a cheap yet comfortable recliner in Mumbai!

The obvious choice was a search on Google, and the results weren’t very helpful as most of the results were for trade websites which had organizations that import recliners from China or other parts of the world.



My wife is hugely influenced by the TV Series Friends. So then began the hunt for a LA-Z Boy! The hunt for a La-Z Boy took us on a web journey to Gurgaon. But then again it was a post on a classifieds website. No luck here too. We read a lot of articles online about La-Z Boy’s being available in India via Stanley Boutique. So then began a journey to Andheri East to the Stanley Boutique.

They sure have La-Z Boys. Starting at Rs. 30,000/- for a fabric upholstered one, going to Rs. 1.4 Lakhs for leather upholstered recliner! Way beyond the league. We were looking at something in the range of 18k-23k. The hunt continued to all other furniture shops on the Western Suburbs of Mumbai. Home Stop (Shoppers Stop’s home accessory store) had some on sale for Rs. 28,000 but composite material and a little rickety (meaning it was stock clearance piece). Next stop, Home Centre (Lifestyle’s Home accessory division). They had more variety in terms of specifications and colours but starting at Rs. 28,000 they too were a beyond the budget.

Then someone told us about Star & Style Furniture Pvt. Ltd. In Goregaon and we headed there to find that this guy manufactures them! Wow! Well he told us about the various models available. He has manual ones in single seater, 2 seater and 3 seater with a rocker and non rocker mechanism. Then there were the Automatic (motorized) ones which were predominantly single seater. The manual ones were priced between 19k-23k for a single one and the motorized ones were priced at Rs. 32k onwards. But he made us an offer of Rs. 28k for a leather upholstered model (He said he had made a consignment of 100 of them and there was a reduction in the order so he has a few pieces spare). The best part about this guy was that you can get them as per your requirement in terms of colours and materials.


We made our next stop at Hypercity and saw some manual recliners with a rocker mechanism and micro fiber upholstery for Rs. 18k, just about perfect for our budget.

Well, the story doesn’t end here. Now we had the option of getting a motorized leather recliner! Hmmm, a little over budget, but more comfortable than any of the other ones we had seen! So after a week of contemplation over the extra 12k we would have to spend (considering we had previously decided to get the manual ones from Star & Style at 20k a piece) we decided to go for it.

But then we pushed a little further and we got him to give us a recliner for 26k and that made the deal even more tempting! We made the payment and asked the guy to deliver the recliners right away the same day!

Hurrrraaaaay!

PS – Anyone looking to get recliners for themselves can call Monish from Star & Style Furniture Pvt. Ltd on 9821013384. Their Address is A Wing 4th Floor Durian Estate
Goregaon Mulund Link Road, Goregaon E, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400063 | Website 

Other places are
EBONY FURNITURE | 270- 2146/2147,Motilal Nagar No.1, New Link Road, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400104 | Ph: +91 22 2876 5391 | fax: +91 22 2876 5391 | alt: +91 22 264506869 | Website 

Recliners India Ltd | Wasim Shaikh, Kishan Prasad & Co. Ltd. 3rd floor, Jiji house, 17, Damodardas Sukhadvala Marg, Fort, Mumbai - 400 001. Cell: 93238 03216 Tel:022 - 2207 9341

12 comments:

Ninad Raikar April 5, 2011 at 11:30 AM  

Hey, I ordered one single recliner, one couple recliner, one sofa, cushions, centre table and side table (Big order, in excess of Rs 1L) from Star & Style Furniture Pvt. Ltd on march 3, 11. I was told that i will get delivery of single recliner in 1 week and everything else within 3-4 weeks. Today, it is April 5, 11 and i have only got delivery of a couple recliner and sofa (on April 2,11). I was promised multiple delivery dates and they havent been adhered to. The product is OK so far and i am yet to receive warranty information for the same.
So, the learnings are: 1) Order only what is readily available. If not, then ensure that you mention refund on non-delivery on committed timeline 2) Only pay a token amount. Do not pay a huge advance else he will never deliver. Only pay as much as you have received delivery for. 3) Make sure you get warranty information in writing and once you have made token amount.
This is a family run business and the only option you have once you dont get delivery is to go to consumer court or make a police complaint. For consumer court there is a website which provides service at no-profit no-loss basis - http://www.icrpc.org/

Abhishek Thakkar April 14, 2011 at 2:27 PM  

Hey hi, this is Thakkar (thakkar <-a-t-> gmail dot com)
I saw the same guys(star and style) in a furniture exhibition recently and was happy with the pieces on show.
Can you give me you feedback on whats your experience in the past one year with the recliners ?
thanks

Ninad Raikar April 17, 2011 at 1:15 PM  

I strongly advice you not to buy any product from star and style. The product only looks good but is sub standard. My single recliner has stopped working in an hour's time and my 2 seater recliner broke a piece in a week's time and stopped working. The after sales service is disgusting. I have been chasing them for over 2 weeks and they still haven't repaired their faulty product. So DONT BUY ANYTHING FRONM THEM.

varun singh December 16, 2012 at 11:52 AM  

for more la-z-boy deals you can contact on www.stylica.in

Unknown August 12, 2014 at 6:40 PM  

Hi

I am looking to buy a laz y boy in Mumbai and came across your blog post of 5 jan 2010.
very informative. I wanted to know are u happy with the one you got made by star style furniture in Goregaon? Does the mechanism still work in 2014?

Thanks.
sarojini

Sahil Jatana August 12, 2014 at 6:47 PM  

Hi. I am extremely happy with them. No issues at all they work perfectly fine and in great shape.

Unknown August 14, 2014 at 5:09 PM  

ok thank you for your reply!

Unknown March 12, 2015 at 5:03 PM  

you furniture brand is goob
powerrecliner

The Bard December 11, 2015 at 11:34 PM  

Hey so after reading your blog I ended up buying a one seater recliner from them, it was meant as a surprise for my husbands birthday and if they could deliver on time was my only condition. I had paid them 2/3rd the cost in advance, the guy Monish sold the automatic piece for 30k and kept a margin of 1 day for late delivery. I started calling 2 days prior to the delivery date..none of the no.s mentioned on the bill work.. I had to look at their website for alternate no., I tried calling on the no. a multiple times but no one answered, the next day Monish picked up and asked me if he can delay the delivery, to which i was slightly pissed since the delivery should have been made on that particular date and only after my calling them they told me thr product wasn't ready.. but then after my asking he told me the product will be delivered the next day.. the entire day till afternoon they refused to give me a clear reply or call me back, but around 3:30 Mr. Surender called up saying the delivery was not possible today.. at this point I lost it and asked them as to how could they do a sale if that was my only condition.. Surender then said they will try his best but he could not commit anything till 8pm..he kept updating me after every 1 hour about their various problems.. which was irking me off as I shouldn't be coming to know of their delivery issues.. at 8 again he told me the delivery was only possible post 12am..we were supposed to fly out that night.. which i had earlier clearly mentioned to them about. to cut a long story short.. at 11:30 pm they made the delivery with so much explanation like how they hired a innova for me to make the delivery(which they paid out of their pocket, I was wondering if the product wss flying to me earlier) , how they got caught because they did not pay the octroi ( which they should have margined for along with the time needed to make it) and so I should pay 1000 bucks extra.. I was made to feel quite obliged, to deliver a product later from their commitment after paying full amount.. I refused to pay anything extra, they did not create much of a scene post that(the owners were there to deliver the product themselves) . I am yet to use the product properly so can't give feedback on that.. I have a pink bill as proof of sale.. the warranty details are not mentioned in detail.. the only silver lining is that even while they were slightly annoying and need to take care of their customer service, but they made sure they deliverd the product on the date mentioned on the bill..

The Bard December 11, 2015 at 11:36 PM  

Hey so after reading your blog I ended up buying a one seater recliner from them, it was meant as a surprise for my husbands birthday and if they could deliver on time was my only condition. I had paid them 2/3rd the cost in advance, the guy Monish sold the automatic piece for 30k and kept a margin of 1 day for late delivery. I started calling 2 days prior to the delivery date..none of the no.s mentioned on the bill work.. I had to look at their website for alternate no., I tried calling on the no. a multiple times but no one answered, the next day Monish picked up and asked me if he can delay the delivery, to which i was slightly pissed since the delivery should have been made on that particular date and only after my calling them they told me thr product wasn't ready.. but then after my asking he told me the product will be delivered the next day.. the entire day till afternoon they refused to give me a clear reply or call me back, but around 3:30 Mr. Surender called up saying the delivery was not possible today.. at this point I lost it and asked them as to how could they do a sale if that was my only condition.. Surender then said they will try his best but he could not commit anything till 8pm..he kept updating me after every 1 hour about their various problems.. which was irking me off as I shouldn't be coming to know of their delivery issues.. at 8 again he told me the delivery was only possible post 12am..we were supposed to fly out that night.. which i had earlier clearly mentioned to them about. to cut a long story short.. at 11:30 pm they made the delivery with so much explanation like how they hired a innova for me to make the delivery(which they paid out of their pocket, I was wondering if the product wss flying to me earlier) , how they got caught because they did not pay the octroi ( which they should have margined for along with the time needed to make it) and so I should pay 1000 bucks extra.. I was made to feel quite obliged, to deliver a product later from their commitment after paying full amount.. I refused to pay anything extra, they did not create much of a scene post that(the owners were there to deliver the product themselves) . I am yet to use the product properly so can't give feedback on that.. I have a pink bill as proof of sale.. the warranty details are not mentioned in detail.. the only silver lining is that even while they were slightly annoying and need to take care of their customer service, but they made sure they deliverd the product on the date mentioned on the bill..

Unknown December 12, 2015 at 10:18 AM  

Great !!! Very Nice Post. This information will increase more and more people to know about all leather recliner. I use to do buy online Recliners as its time saving.big man recliner

Unknown March 8, 2016 at 11:14 PM  

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog, I will keep visiting this blog very often.best recliners

Post a Comment

Blog Adda

Visits

Image Header Courtesy: Mitesh Bhuvad

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP